Monday, July 21, 2014

Daniel Fast

"Fasting has a way of fast tracking our prayers."

I have been very curious about fasting.  I have never fasted.  There have been times when I have thought about fasting, but was concerned that others would think it was bizarre and not necessary.  
We have many social activities in my family that revolve around food and it would be difficult for me to fast in secret.  There are many places in the Bible that talk about fasting being private and secret.

In  doing research for this post I found there are lots of different ways of fasting.  
The first Daniel fast was vegetables, fruit and water for 10 days.
The second Daniel fast was similar but also eliminated leavened bread, wine and sweetener.
In Esther the fast was 3 days with no food or drink.
There is a partial fast where you may be called to give up specific foods.
A Juice Fast
Regular Fast - most people still drink during this type of fast

The book says "Some miracles are only accessible via prayer and fasting."
I am not really sure that I agree with that.
I think fasting is more to put us in the correct frame of mind.
To make us more reliant on God.

What are your thoughts on fasting?

"Fasting gives you more power to pay because it's an exercise in willpower."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fasting is talked about a lot in the bible. Even though it is, I still have questions about it. I have fasted on a few occasions before for a day with only water to drink as part of a prayer vigil for revival or something specific that our church was praying about. I guess there is still a lot I need to learn about fasting. I think fasting is more about obedience and honor. It is our way of showing God we are willing to give up food, which we need in order to exist, to show Him how much we are relying on Him for the answer to whatever our request may be. His answer is more important to us than food or anything else. Fasting shows we are willing to give up food to focus on praying for something we feel God is leading us toward. Instead of thinking about food and running to the refrigerator for a meal or snack, we should use that time to focus our prayers toward the specific prayer request we have. It's all about denying ourselves to focus on God.