Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Prayer Posture



"Physical postures help posture our hearts and minds."

This section was very interesting.  I have been trying to talk with God more frequently, and have been making it a part of my normal day to day activity.  
That being said, I pray while at my desk, while driving my car, while loading the diswasher, etc etc.  

How important do you think posture is?  
Do you think our posture when casual is disrespectful to our father?


I thought the Quaker position that was discussed was interesting so I did a little more research.
  1. Find a comfortable seat. Don’t lean forward, though neither should you slouch as if attempting to sleep.  I like to sit in a hardwood chair or even on a stool.  
  2. Close your eyes.
  3. Place your hands face-down on your lap. This represents letting go of all that has filled your mind.
  4. In silence, give to God all your anxieties, concerns, and worries.  Surrender to him all those thoughts which occupy your mind.  I begin by thinking this phrase:  “Lord I give to you….”
  5. Now, maintaining this same posture, rotate your hands so that your palms are face-up.  This is symbolic for receiving blessings and peace from God.
  6. In silence, ask God to grant you peace.  You may ask for any number of blessings (such as strength, courage, faith, patience, etc). I begin by saying:  “Lord, please fill me with your…”
  7. Sit in silence for some time, focused on God — and simply resting in his presence
Excert taken from http://jamesbrett.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/meditative-prayer-centering-down/

I am sure if you are like me you will try the above posture . . . . I am always looking for ways to eliminate the outside distractions of my my life from overtaking my prayer life.  

Many different postures were used in the Bible, I think your posture really depends on the situation.   I do not think that our posture changes how our prayers are heard, but I think our posture puts our hearts in the position they need to be in.  

Kneeling - Psalm 95:6, Daniel 6:10, 1 Kings 8:54, Acts 21:5
Bowing - 2 Chronicles 7:3, 2 Chronicles 29:29, Romans 14:11, Psalm 22:29, Mark 5:6
Prostrate - Numbers 20:6, 1 Chronicles 29:20, Revelations 7:11, 1 King 18:39, Matthew 2:11
Arms Raised - Psalms 134:2, 1 King 8:54, 1 Kings 2:22


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too found the Quaker posture interesting. I believe God answers no matter where we are or how we stand. However, I also believe God wants us to pray in a very focused way by shutting out everything but communication between Him and us. I will never forget one time when one of my daughters was trying to talk to me and I was distracted by something else going on. She literally took my face in her hands and pointed my face toward her so I was focused completely on her. I can imagine God being like that when we pray. He wants our complete attention, He doesn't want to share our focus with anyone or anything else!